Fraud can be defined as an intentional deception, misappropriation of assets, willful misrepresentation or receipt of unauthorized benefits.
Dishonest or fraudulent activities may include the following:
• Forgery or alteration of documents (transcripts, checks, timesheets, travel vouchers, contract agreements, purchase orders, budgets, etc.).
• Misrepresentation of information on documents.
• Misappropriation of funds, securities, supplies, or any other asset (including furniture, fixtures, computers, or equipment).
• Improprieties in the handling or reporting of money transactions.
• Authorizing or receiving payments for goods not received or services not performed.
• Authorizing or receiving payments for hours not worked.
• Personal use of University assets.
• Any apparent violation of federal, state, or local laws.