Office of Financial Services


Tuition and Fee rates and posted payments are on-line at Click TWOLF Student Portal to view billing formation. Tuition rates are established by the Board of Governors of the Colorado State University System following budget action of the Colorado General Assembly. The Board of Governors normally acts on tuition and fee charges at its June meeting prior to the start of the academic year. There may be other fees associated with certain classes offered at the University. All fees and charges are subject to change.

Payment plans are available. Students will be assessed a monthly 1.5% extended payment charge on any outstanding balance. Bills are not mailed, so students must review their bill on-line by accessing their PAWS account.


The College Opportunity Fund (COF) was created by an ACT of the 2004 Colorado State Legislature to provide state tax dollar financial support to eligible Colorado resident undergraduate students. The state will no longer appropriate money to institutions for undergraduate education, but will provide direct funding to the institution on behalf of the student. Students are required to submit a one-time application available at


Parking decals may be obtained at the Cashier’s Window in the Administration Building.


Students are subject to any or all of the following actions if they have a delinquent debt to the University:

Administratively withdrawn

Transcripts held

Degree not conferred

No future course registrations allowed

Turned over to a collection agency

Reasonable collection/legal costs will be added to the amount due. Any student who pays with a check that is returned unpaid by his/her bank will be subject to all of the penalties for late payment and also will be charged an additional $25 fee.


The Tuition Appeals Committee will consider requests for adjustment to tuition and fee charges when a student can document extenuating circumstances. Appeals must be made no later than thirty (30) days past the end of the semester in question. Appeal forms can be obtained by contacting the Office of Business Financial Services.

No adjustment/refunds of tuition and fees will be made to a student who is suspended, dismissed or expelled for a breach of discipline.


Financial aid is a resource for students and parents seeking monetary assistance to help defray the costs of higher education. Eligible students who demonstrate financial need may receive assistance from the federal government and/or the State of Colorado in the form of grants, loans, work-study and/or scholarship funds. Students may obtain applications and other necessary forms from Student Financial Services, Administration Building, Room 212, telephone (719) 549-2753. Students may obtain further financial aid information by logging onto

The primary responsibility for educational costs resides with the student and the student’s family. Assistance offered through Student Financial Services is intended to supplement the family contribution. Funds are awarded on a first-come, first-served, need basis.

Financial Aid Application Steps

To be considered for financial aid, students must be accepted for admission in a degree program.

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1. Students may apply online by logging onto
The CSU-Pueblo school identification code is: 001365

Once the FAFSA has been processed, students will receive a Federal Student Aid Report, which will be electronically submitted to all the schools listed on the FAFSA.

Students whose data has been selected for verification will be required to submit a verification form, a copy of the tax return(s), and any other requested documents used to complete the FAFSA prior to being awarded.

Once all required information is received, students will receive a financial aid award offer.

Students may not receive financial aid if they are:

Not enrolled in a degree-seeking program;

On financial aid suspension or academic suspension;

In default on a federal student loan;

Owe money back on a federal student grant or have not made satisfactory arrangements to repay it; or

Ineligible non-citizens or not permanent residents of the United States.



As a student at CSU-Pueblo you have the right to:

Know all the types of financial assistance available to our students, including federal, state, and institutional sources.

Be informed about any award changes and their reasons.

As a student at CSU-Pueblo you have the responsibility to:

Accurately and honestly complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Renewal for Federal Student Aid by March 1 each year.

Notify Student Financial Services of all changes in your enrollment status, for example, from full-time to less than full-time, from nonresident to resident tuition, etc.

Use financial aid funds for educational expenses only. These expenses include tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies, and related miscellaneous costs.

Keep your address updated with Student Financial Services.

Notify our office if you are attending two schools at the same time. You may not receive financial aid at two schools at the same time.

Read and understand the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy, the Withdrawal Policy, and other general policies related to financial aid.

Officially withdraw from the University if you are unable to attend classes.

Report all scholarships that you receive. They are counted as part of your financial aid award offer and may reduce the amount of other aid offered.

Pay any balance to the University that is not covered by financial aid funds.


Federal and state regulations require that all students receiving financial assistance at the University meet standards for satisfactory academic progress to maintain eligibility for their financial assistance. In order to comply with these regulations, the University has developed this Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy. The policy is designed to measure minimum acceptable academic progress for financial assistance purposes.

Student Financial Services will review Satisfactory Academic Progress annually at the end of every spring semester.

The following are the criteria considered in the policy review process:

I. Qualitative

a) Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA):

Undergraduate & Degree Plus Students

Students enrolled in undergraduate programs must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.00.

Graduate Students

Students enrolled in a graduate program must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.00.

b) Repeating Courses

In the case where a student repeats courses, the first two times a course is taken, only the higher grade and credit earned are computed into the grade-point average (please refer to Repeating Courses under Academic Policies section of the Catalog).

Please note grades can be excluded for prior attempts when calculating a student’s GPA, but these prior attempts will be included when measuring the quantitative component or cumulative credit hours earned addressed below.

c) GPA Calculation

Grades of S, U, W, WN, IP, IN, and NC are not computed in the grade-point average but will count towards attempted hours addressed below.

II. Quantitative

a) Credit Hours Earned

A student enrolled at the University must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 75% of the credit hours attempted. Satisfactory completion is defined as receiving a passing grade of S, D-, or better for courses attempted.

b) Cumulative Credit Hours Limit

Students at the University may earn a maximum number of credit hours while pursuing a degree. Students will be allowed to earn a maximum of 150% of the number of hours required by the degree-granting program. Maximum credit hour limits for each type of degree-granting program are as follows:


Type of Program 

Maximum Credit Hours

1st Bachelor’s Degree


2nd Bachelor’s Degree or
Teacher Certification


Graduate Programs


Please Note: Maximum credit hours earned include hours transferred from other institutions, all attempted credit hours including repeated courses, and hours earned during a period of academic renewal.

c) Withdrawals and Incompletes

A grade of “W” for withdrawing from all or some of a student’s classes and incomplete grades are counted towards the students credit hours attempted.

Students who receive incomplete grades are expected to complete the coursework by the end of the following semester, unless there is an existing Satisfactory Progress issue.

Failure to Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements

Satisfactory Academic Progress is reviewed at the end of the spring semester. Students who do not meet the minimum requirements will be placed on a       probationary status in which time students have the following semester to regain their financial aid eligibility. At the end of the probationary period, if students fail to meet the requirements of the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy their financial aid will be suspended and they will lose their financial aid eligibility for future semesters until the satisfactory academic progress requirements are again being met, or an appeal for reinstatement has been submitted and approved by the Satisfactory Academic Progress Committee.

Appeal Process:

If mitigating circumstances exist (e.g. medical withdrawal, death of an immediate family member, call to active duty, catastrophic event, etc.) an appeal may be submitted up until the Friday before the next semester begins. Appeals submitted after the deadline will not be considered until the following semester.

Complete appeal packets will consist of the following documents:

  • Financial Aid Appeal Form
  • Documentation supporting appeal (i.e. letter from advisor or faculty, medical documentation, obituary notice, graduation planning sheet)

  Please submit all of the required documentation to:

       Satisfactory Academic Progress Committee
       Colorado State University-Pueblo
       Student Financial Services
       Administration Building, Room 212
       2200 Bonforte Blvd.
       Pueblo, CO  81001-4901


Students who withdraw during the drop/add period will receive a 100% tuition refund and be responsible for repaying all of their financial funds back to the University.

Students who totally withdraw from CSU-Pueblo after the drop/add period through 60% of the semester will have their tuition prorated (view tuition refund policy on-line at ( A federal formula will be used to determine the amount of financial aid that has been earned by the student, which will be calculated for students who withdraw within 60% of the semester. If the student received less assistance than the amount earned, the student may be able to receive those funds. If the student received more assistance than earned, the excess funds must be returned.

Students who do not complete the official withdrawal process will potentially receive all failing grades on their transcript. Students with all failing grades at the end of each semester will be required to repay their unearned student aid based on 50% unless they can prove that they attended class past 60% of the semester.



Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant amount is determined by the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) listed on the Student Aid Report and whether the student is enrolled full-time or part-time. Generally, Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students. In some cases, students might receive a Pell Grant for attending a post-baccalaureate teacher certificate program.

Colorado Student Grant (CSG)

The CSG is awarded to undergraduate residents on the basis of financial need as determined by the Colorado Commission on Higher Education. The amount of the grant cannot be greater than $5,000 per academic year. Funds are provided by the Colorado General Assembly.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The FSEOG is designed to assist undergraduate students with exceptional need, targeted to Federal Pell Grant recipients and other exceptional need students. Awards may not exceed $4,000 per year.

Colorado Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (CLEAP)

The CLEAP grant is awarded to undergraduate resident students on the basis of financial need. The amount of the grant cannot be greater than $5,000 per academic year. The CLEAP consists of one-half state and one-half federal funds.


College Work-Study Program (CWSP)

The College Work Study Program is designed to provide jobs to students who could not attend the University without employment. The program also provides students with meaningful work experience, preferably related to their academic major. Students may use work-study funds to supplement their income and help meet educational expenses. The program is funded by both the federal government and the Colorado General Assembly. The University annually employs approximately 600 students in the work-study program.

General Qualifications:

  1. Must be enrolled at the University for the next academic year as a degree-seeking student.
  2. Must be making satisfactory academic progress.
  3. Must enroll in and maintain six (6) credit hours for each semester employed.

Colorado Work-Study

The Colorado work-study program is funded by the Colorado General Assembly. To be eligible, students must be undergraduate Colorado residents.

Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility for work-study. Students are selected for the program if qualifications are met and if funds are available. Generally students must demonstrate financial need, but the University is allowed to award a portion of the Colorado work-study funds to students who have little or no financial need.

Federal Work Study

The federal work-study program is funded by the federal government. To be eligible, students must demonstrate financial need.

Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility for work-study. Students are selected for the program if qualifications are met and if funds are available. Students may work on or off-campus and may be enrolled in undergraduate and graduate programs.

Full-Time Summer Work Study

Full-time work-study is a program designed to provide students with employment during the summer. The award is considered part of the annual financial aid award offer. Continuing and new students must be enrolled for the following fall semester. New students may not begin working until June 1.

Students are not required to enroll for summer courses to qualify for full-time summer work-study. However, students who are not enrolled in at least three (3) credit hours must contribute to the Student Employee Retirement Plan (7.50%) and Medicare (1.45%) for each pay period.


Prior to any federal education loan (Federal Stafford or Federal PLUS) being certified by CSU-Pueblo, the applicant must complete the financial aid application process (including the Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

Federal Perkins Student Loan

(Formerly titled National Direct Student Loan-NDSL) a Federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest (5%) loan to help exceptionally needy students pay for post-secondary education. CSU-Pueblo must disclose the loan disbursement and default status to a credit bureau organization.

Students may be eligible to borrow up to a total of:

  • $4,000 a year as an undergraduate if they are enrolled in a degree program, leading to a bachelor’s degree;
  • $6,000 a year as graduate students enrolled in a master’s degree program;
  • $20,000 aggregate if they are undergraduates working toward a bachelor’s degree; or
  • $40,000 aggregate for graduate or professional study (total includes any amount borrowed under Federal Perkins Loan or NDSL for undergraduate study).

Repayment of the loan begins nine months after students cease to be enrolled half-time. Students may be allowed up to 10 years to repay the loan. The amount of payment depends upon the size of the debt and the length of your repayment period.

In case of default on a Federal Perkins Loan, which the University is unable to collect, the federal government may take action to recover the loan.  Questions about the terms of the loan, repayment obligations, deferment or cancellation should be directed to the University’s Perkins Loan Servicer, UNISA, at (800) 875-8910.

Federal Stafford Loans

The U.S. Department of Education administers several loan programs designed to offer low-interest funding to students and their parents who need to borrow money to cover the costs of education. Below is a summary of the loans available:

Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program

Stafford Loans

Stafford loans are either subsidized or unsubsidized. A subsidized loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. The federal government pays the interest while the student is in school and during grace and deferment periods.

An unsubsidized loan is not awarded on the basis of need. You’ll be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it’s paid in full. If you allow the interest to accrue while you’re in school or during other periods of nonpayment, it will be capitalized — that is, the interest will be added to the principal amount of your loan, and additional interest will be based on that higher amount.

The Federal Stafford Loan Program is intended solely to aid students pursuing a degree in higher education. Students should borrow only the amount they believe is necessary to pay for educational costs. Keeping the amount of a loan at a minimum will ease repayment.

Student Loan Amounts

The Stafford Loan interest rate is at a fixed rate of 6.8%. You’ll be notified of interest rate changes throughout the life of your loans.

You’ll pay a fee of up to 4% of the loan, deducted proportionately from each loan disbursement.

Annual Loan Limits for Stafford Loans


  Dependent Undergraduate
 Undergraduate Student
1st Year $3,500  $6,625—Only $3,500 may be subsidized
2nd Year  $4,500 $7,500—Only $4,500 may be subsidized
3rd & 4th Years  $5,500  $10,500—Only $5,500 may be subsidized
Maximum Total Debt Allowed  $23,000  $46,000—Only $23,000 may be subsidized

*Graduate students may borrow up to $20,500 each academic year. Only $8,500 of this amount be subsidized. Aggregate limits are also higher.

Federal Stafford Loan Check Distribution

Loan funds are sent directly to the school approximately a week before the beginning of each semester. A 3% origination fee and up to 1% guarantee fee may be deducted from the amount sent to the school.

Electronic Funds Transfer is available to students whose loans are serviced by Sallie Mae or College Assist. Funds received will be credited to the student’s account and any remaining funds will be electronically transferred to the student’s designated checking account.

Out-of-state lending institutions send loan checks to Student Financial Services. The student’s satisfactory progress, enrollment status, and eligibility are reviewed before the check will be released to the student.

The school is required to disburse loan funds within three (3) working days. If the student is ineligible for disbursement the funds must be returned to the lender immediately.

Federal PLUS-Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students

PLUS enables parents who do not have an adverse credit history to borrow to pay the education expenses of each child who is a dependent undergraduate student enrolled at least half-time. The interest rate is a fixed rate of 8.5%. Credit checks are conducted by the lender to determine loan approval. If the loan is denied the lender is responsible for notifying the parent (borrower).

The borrower (parent) must begin monthly payments of a Federal Plus loan 60 days after the final disbursement of a loan.

Parents may request deferment of repayment under certain conditions established by the lender.

Short-Term Loans

The Short-Term Loan is primarily requested to purchase books at the start of the semester. Financial emergencies that present extreme hardship may also be considered.

Students must be enrolled for at least 6 semester credits, must be in good standing and must have a pending Financial Aid disbursement for that semester that will be used to pay the loan back. Maximum loan amount is $450 per semester.

Loans are to be repaid within a short period of time (normally within 60 days). If the loan has not been repaid or arrangements made for its repayment by the due date, the delinquent loan will be treated as an overdue student account and handled in accordance with University policy. Applications for Student Success Loans are available in the Office of Student Financial Services. A $3 fee, assessed for processing the loan, will be deducted from the loan amount.


State and Institutional Scholarships

CSU-Pueblo offers a wide variety of scholarships to incoming freshmen and transfer students. Scholarships are awarded based on achievement and financial need. Admissions and financial aid applications are reviewed by a University committee to determine recipients. Scholarships are also available for first generation students and international students.


To be considered for any University grant and scholarship aid, students must complete the University Scholarship Application. Also, Student Financial Services administers a number of private scholarships funded by individuals, foundations, agencies, and organizations. All CSU-Pueblo students may apply on-line at for these scholarships by submitting an institutional application by the March 1 deadline. Recipients are selected by various committees.

Students are also encouraged to visit for more information about scholarship searches or visit Student Financial Services, Admin 212.

Impact on Financial Aid

Because scholarships are considered “resource” funds under state and federal guidelines, scholarship awards become a part of the student’s financial aid package. If the student’s financial need is already met at the time of scholarship notification, other aid may be reduced or cancelled. Pell grants are never reduced as the result of a scholarship.


Veterans must follow the admission requirements and procedures outlined in this catalog. For certification of eligibility for education benefits under one of the Public Laws, students can apply for Veterans Administration benefits through the Records Office in the Administration Building, Room 202, telephone, (719) 549-2910. Please allow at least two months for processing time.


Students who are at least one-fourth American Indian, Eskimo or Aleut, as recognized by a tribal group served by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, may apply for a BIA grant. The amount awarded is based on financial need and availability of funds from the area agency. For additional information, write to:  Scholarship Office, U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs, P.O. Box 370, New Town, ND 58763.