Before you travel...
- Seek approval to travel from department – (Plan early)
- Apply for State Travel Card (Citibank Visa) (Allow 2 weeks for card to arrive)
- Obtain Travel Request and Authorization Form (TRAF) from accounts payable (when out-of-state-travel, airline ticket, or non-ATM advance is involved
- Give T# from TRAF to approved travel agency if purchasing airline ticket. The University is currently using 1) Travel Society and 2) New Horizons Travel.
- Use Procurement Card or Check Request to pay conference/event registration
- Use Check Request to pay lodging deposit (if required by hotel)
- Look up maximum meal reimbursement (per diem) rates and lodging expense guidelines for destination
- If international travel, review travel warnings and health alerts
- If renting vehicle, use your State travel Card with state contracted agencies: Avis, Budget, Enterprise or Hertz
During your trip...
- Keep conference schedule (showing which meals were provided)
- Keep original itemized receipts for all rental car gas & lodging charges. Keep original itemized receipts for other charges if over $25
- Separate non-reimbursable personal expenses (dry cleaning, magazines, alcohol beverages, etc.
When you return...
Prepare Travel Reimbursement Sheet (TRS) for eligible expenses that will not be reimbursed by any other entity (not allowed): personal expenses, recreation, meal per diems if meals provided at conference)
- On TRS under “remarks” indicate what travel was for: Example: Attend HACU Conference in San Diego, California from October 5, to 0ctober 8, 2012.
- Attach mapquest: 1) for mileage to and from destination if vehicle is used or 2) to and from airport if airline is used.
- Attach required receipts/proof of payment, conference schedule, etc.
- Staple/Tape small receipts securely to separate piece of paper, staple to TRS form
- Reimbursement claims for travel should be submitted within a reasonable time, normally 60 days following completion of travel. (Exceptions to the 60 days require explanation/justification and approval by the appropriate Vice President to avoid tax implications.
- As provided in CRS 24-9-104 – New Mileage Reimbursement Rates Effective July 1, 2013
- Employees traveling on official state (university) business using their own vehicles will be reimbursed the amount of fifty cents (.50) per mile
Useful Websites for Travel: