Publishing Web pages at CSU-Pueblo
Using Microsoft® FrontPage® Server Extensions (FPSE)
Note: If you need help publishing a Web site configured for Microsoft® FrontPage® Server Extensions, please contact the Help Desk. Web publishing training is available through the Instructional Technology Center (ITC) for faculty and staff.
Departments, partners, student clubs, students, faculty, and staff at Colorado State University-Pueblo may publish Web pages to the University Web server. Before publishing Web pages, all users must have an eAccount and password .
By default all campus Web sites are initially configured to use Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP), not FrontPage® Server Extensions (FPSE). If you wish to use FPSE you need to call the Help Desk and request that your Web site be converted from SFTP to FPSE. Please note that your SFTP Web site will be deleted upon conversion, so please backup your Web site in a location other than your SFTP Web site before you call the Help Desk requesting the conversion from SFTP to FPSE.
Personal Web sites are created automatically as SFTP Web sites for faculty, and staff upon registration or employment with the University. Students are also given storage on the request of the professor to the Help Desk. Otherwise all students may take advantage of personal Website space with their Live@edu account. Departments, partners and student clubs may request an application for a Web site by filling out the Special Accounts form .
All Web developers are responsible for knowledge of University policies, standards, and guidelines, and applicable local, state, or federal laws or regulations that apply to Web pages. The "Guidelines for Developing Web Sites and Pages" at CSU-Pueblo are available at (http://www.colostate-pueblo.edu/ITS/Policies/Pages/WebGuidelines.aspx).
Only Microsoft® FrontPage® or Microsoft® Expression® Web® may be used to publish an FPSE Web site. Expression® Web® is available on all campus workstations.
To begin using FrontPage® Server Extensions (FPSE) on a department, partner, student club, or personal Web site, follow these steps:
- Verify that the Web site you want to convert to FPSE has been backed up, and if you need assistance with this process, you may call the Help Desk.
- Call the Help Desk and notify them that you want to convert an SFTP Web site to an FPSE Web site.
- For security purposes your identity will be verified when you call the Help Desk, including a valid University e-mail address, and the address of the Web site you are requesting to have converted.
- After verification, the SFTP Web site will be deleted, the new FPSE Web site and test page will be created, and the individual(s) will be notified that the conversion process has been completed.
Special note regarding Personal Web sites: FrontPage® or Expression® Web® will not publish a FPSE Web site with a period or dot "." in the name. All CSU-Pueblo eAccounts have a dot in the name. All personal Web sites are available to visitors via the dot in the name, but the Web site must be published without the dot. Please see the example and directions below, and contact the Help Desk if you experience any difficulty publishing your personal Web site.
Directions to publish a Web site configured for Microsoft® FrontPage® Server Extensions
Please Note: The directions are the same for Microsoft® FrontPage® and Microsoft® Expression® Web® to publish to your Web site. The appearance of the "Remote Web Site" dialog boxes are slightly different depending whether you are using Microsoft® FrontPage® or Microsoft® Expression® Web® to publish your Web site.
- From your network directory open your Microsoft® FrontPage® or Microsoft® Expression® Web® Web site.
- Select the "Web Site" tab at the top of the design window.
- Click "Remote Web Site" at the bottom of the window. If a connect to Web Site dialog box appears, enter your eAccount including the period, i.e., john.doe and the password.
- Click "Remote Web Site Properties" at the top of the design window.
- You will see a dialog box with several remote server type choices.
- On the Remote Web Site Tab, Click the top radio button choice to select "FrontPage..."
- If the Remote Site Location is blank, type in https://staff.colostate-pueblo.edu/eAccount, where eAccount is your eAccount WITHOUT THE DOT. For example, https://staff.colostate-pueblo.edu/johndoe
- Check the box "Encrypted connection required (SSL)", don't click OK yet!
- Next, click the Publishing Tab at the top of that menu box. Under General, Publish, select the second choice, "All pages, overwriting pages already on destination"
- Then, click "OK" at the bottom.
- If prompted for your username, type in your eAccount WITH the dot, and the password and click the "OK" button. Make sure the "Local to remote" radio button is selected in the lower right-hand corner of the window, and then click the "Publish Web Site" button. You should see the Web site's files appear in the remote site pane on the right.
- Verify with a Web browser that your Web site has been updated. You may update your FPSE Web site from on or off campus.