General FAQs

Thank you for your interest in the general employee information at Colorado State University-Pueblo!  Below is a list of answers to the most frequently asked general employee questions.

What should I do if I’m changing bank accounts?
I have a medical situation that will take me away from work. What do I need to do?
What should I do if I am injured on the job?
I’m recently married or divorced. What do I need to do?
I just had a birth or adoption in the family. What do I need to do?
Where may I access an employee handbook?
How will I be paid?
Who can verify employment?
How do I get in contact with Human Resources?
How do I get in contact with the ADA Coordinator?
How do I get in contact with the Affirmative Action/EEO Officer?
How do I access my personnel records?
Where do I obtain an employee ID card?
How do I change my address or other demographic information?
How do I get a parking permit?
Where can I park on campus?
How is mail sent and received on campus?
Do you have an on-site child care center?
What is the Emergency Closure Policy (weather, resource reductions, epidemic, etc.)?
What is the Smoking Policy on campus?
What is my job classification?
Am I overtime eligible?
What are your procedures for leaving University employment?
Who are the Appointing Authorities?
How does CSU-Pueblo communicate emergency situations, closures and safety concerns to staff?
How do I participate in the text messaging alert system?