CSU-Pueblo Alumni Association

Property Insurance Insurance

All University owned real property (buildings) and equipment is insured on a commercial insurance policy acquired by the State of Colorado for all agencies and institutions of the State.

Additionally, property leased by the University may also be covered under this insurance policy, when such insurance is required by written contract and is specifically requested from the University Office of Risk Management at telephone # 719.549.2054. A copy of the lease contract must be provided to the Office of Risk Management.

There is no insurance available under this policy for owned or leased automobiles licensed for travel on public highways or roads.


The insurance policy provides for replacement cost of the damaged building or equipment at the time of the loss. Additionally coverage is provided for:

  • Business Interruption
  • Royalties
  • Rental Value
  • While in Transit
  • Reconstruction of Valuable Papers & Records
  • Newly Acquired Properties Must be reported within 60 days

The territorial limit for insurance coverage is the United States of America, Canada and District of Columbia. Insurance coverage does not apply in any other territory.


The hazards for which insurance coverage is provided are as follows, but not necessarily limited to:

  • Fire, Lightning, Smoke
  • Theft and Mysterious Disappearance
  • Vandalism and Malicious Mischief
  • Acts of God (usually weather related)
  • In the event of loss or damage to buildings and equipment, always contact the Office of Risk Management to confirm existence, or lack thereof, of insurance coverage.


  • Money and Securities (insured under separate policy-See Crime Section)
  • Personal property of individuals, including employees and students
  • Vehicles licensed for travel on public roads unless parked on University property and then covered only for theft, wind, hail, etc. Collision coverage is specifically excluded.
  • Property not belonging to the University (unless specifically added)
  • Land or Water
  • Property shipped by water
  • Growing crops, standing timber
  • Animals (except animals held for research and instruction and then only covered for Fire and Lightning, acts of God)
  • Tunnels & Bridges
  • All exclusions as stated on the insurance policy


  • Losses caused by:
  • Defective design, faulty materials, faulty workmanship
  • Electrical injury or disturbance, i.e. power surge
  • Ordinary wear and tear, or gradual deterioration
  • Nuclear reaction, radiation or contamination
  • All exclusions as stated on the insurance policy


There is a deductible of $1,000 for each loss occurrence.


Always report damages and loss to University property to the Office of Risk Management at 719.549.2054. Forms are available at this office for insurance claims.

Any loss resulting from a criminal offense, such as theft or vandalism, must be reported to the police within the jurisdiction where the crime occurs--a copy of the policy report is required for the insurance claim.

Insurance adjusters are assigned by the insurance company and work with the Office of Risk Management for settlement of all claims on behalf of the University.