Colorado State University - Pueblo to present extreme fire education demonstration
PUEBLO – How long would it take for the contents of a residence hall room to burn? What precautions can be taken to eliminate or reduce fire danger in such a restricted space?
Colorado State University-Pueblo safety and environmental representatives are not wasting time educating CSU-Pueblo students, who moved into residence halls and apartments near campus last week and began classes on Monday, August 22. The University -- in cooperation with Pueblo City Fire Department, Premiere Homes, Building Material Systems, Drywall Material Sales, LLC, and the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Department – will host a live fire demonstration of a room built especially for this purpose in order to promote campus fire safety awareness and to help provide the safest possible housing conditions for our nation's future.
According to Jason Turner, director of safety and environmental health, the demonstration will begin at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 25 near the west parking lot by the Hasan Amphitheatre. Visitors are encouraged to park by the by the amphitheater.
The demonstration will start with an introduction. A spark from a model rocket ignition button will light the fire, which will probably take about 10 minutes to fully engulf the model room. Pueblo City Fire officials then will extinguish the fire and discuss ways to prevent such a fire from occurring and proper procedures for what to do in case such an incident occurs.
Across the country, students are going off to college during September and moving into residence halls, fraternities, sororities, and off-campus housing. It is an important time for these students to be educated about fire safety because, for many of them, they will be living on their own for the first time.
Turner said that doing safety checks with hall directors on campus is what gave him the idea of creating a real-life fire education experience. He said the mock room, constructed by area builders, will have a bed with linens, a desk, a lamp, waste basket, and clothes on the floor in an attempt to replicate a cluttered dorm room. Turner said for that reason he didn’t want to wait until September, which has been designated as Campus Fire Safety Month, or Fire Prevention Week, October 9-15, to show the consequences of unsafe practices and to promote positive fire safeguards – lessons that not only will keep students safe in college, but throughout their lives. He said at least 143 people have died in campus-related fires nationally since January 2000.