Colorado State University - Pueblo offers five-week Jump Start for incoming freshmen
PUEBLO – Incoming freshmen to Colorado State University-Pueblo have an opportunity to earn nine college credits in five weeks this summer, July 14-August 17, while living on campus and experiencing the great Colorado outdoors with a new summer Jump Start program.
This summer bridge program teaches student success skills and time management in preparation for full-time enrollment in the fall by requiring students to live on campus and participate in scheduled classes and activities. Participating incoming freshmen will complete nine credits, including general education and developmental courses, while experiencing college life and the great Colorado outdoors for just $2,000.
The Jump Start Program offers:
• Opportunities to summit a 13,000-foot mountain peak, kayak or canoe on area lakes and rivers, bike the trails of Lake Pueblo State Park.
• High-achieving students the chance to complete such general education courses as composition, math, history, or human development, while students needing college preparatory courses in writing and math can complete those before the start of the Fall 2010 semester.
• An easier transition to college living and learning environments by helping students become accustomed to the locations and feel of residence halls (new Crestone Hall), cafeterias, laboratories and classrooms.
• A 50 percent discount on all the costs represented, including tuition, fees, housing, parking, meals, and outdoor activities. Jump Start program costs may be covered in full or part by financial aid.
• A network of new friends to help you avoid the sometimes uncomfortable transition to starting a new life chapter.
The classes also will include outdoor pursuits, including low and high ropes courses, rock climbing, mountain biking, canoeing, and hiking. Instruction, equipment, travel and logistics coordination is provided. Weekend field experiences will include hikes to local waterfalls, biking and canoeing at Lake Pueblo Reservoir, and the summiting of 13,000+-foot Greenhorn Mountain. Optional Sunday and weekend trips will include rafting on the Arkansas River, kayaking, and fly fishing instruction.
Interested individuals must complete a Summer Jump Start Registration Confirmation and submit a $200 pre-payment. Complete information on the Jump Start Program or an application may be obtained at www.gocsupueblo.com/JumpStart or by contacting
Derek Lopez, Ph.D., Director - First Year Programs, (719) 549-2535, OUC 213A, 2200 Bonforte Blvd., Pueblo, CO. 81001.