More than 150 individuals honored 11 teachers from throughout Southern Colorado on May 4 as part of the 8th annual teacher celebration sponsored by the Southern Colorado Teacher Education Alliance at Colorado State University - Pueblo.
The idea for the celebration originated with future teacher groups at Pueblo Community College and Colorado State University – Pueblo and has grown to the current 8th Annual Teacher Celebration: Great Teachers Inspire the Minds of the Future! Students from grades 5, 8, and 12 in area school districts were encouraged to write a letter about their most inspiring teacher.
Hundreds of students wrote letters recognizing the teachers who have made a difference in their lives. A selection committee of CSU-Pueblo pre-service teachers read all letters and chose the 11 teachers who were honored. Excerpts from these letters were read at the teacher celebration, and teachers and students received bound volumes of all winning entrees and certificates acknowledging the award.
The honored teachers, the schools where they teach, and the students who nominated them were:
Cotopaxi Consolidated Schools Fremont RE-3
● Ms. Jennifer Lang, 1st Grade Teacher at Cotopaxi Elementary School, and Bennie Koch, 5th Grade Student
● Mrs. Lou Merrill, Librarian at Cotopaxi Middle School, and Jennifer Williams, 8th Grade Student
● Mr. Scott Will, Art Teacher at Cotopaxi High School, and Taryn Cella, 12th Grade Student
Fremont RE-2 School District
● Mr. John Wysong, 4th Grade Teacher at Fremont Elementary School, and Michaela Metcalf, 5th Grade Student
● Mrs. Juanita Monett , Mathematics Teacher at Fremont Middle School, and Cortlyne Huppe, 8th Grade Student
La Veta RE-2 School District
● Mrs. Marie Ortivez, 5th Grade Teacher at La Veta Elementary School, and Hope Guerrero, 5th Grade Student
Pueblo City Schools
●Mr. Joseph Gonzales, K-6 Music Teacher, Eva Baca Elementary School, and Hope Guerrero, 5th Grade Student
● Ms. Debbie Walters, Science Teacher at Risley Middle School, and Ashley Romero, 8th Grade Student
Pueblo School District 70
● Mrs. Jamie Donlon, 4th Grade Teacher at Rye Elementary School, and Austin Johnson, 5th Grade Student
● Ms. Lydia Albo, 6th Grade Language Arts Teacher at Pleasant View Middle School, and Kalli Day, 8th Grade Student
Trinidad School District 1
● Mr. Michael Curro, Music Teacher at Trinidad High School, and William Wilson, 12th Grade Student
Colorado State University - Pueblo is a regional, comprehensive university emphasizing professional, career-oriented, and applied programs. Displaying excellence in teaching, celebrating diversity, and engaging in service and outreach, CSU-Pueblo is distinguished by access, opportunity, and the overall quality of services provided to its students.