From a seed originally planted in 1933, two institutions of higher education have sprouted that continue to partner to meet the cultural, social, and post-secondary education needs of Pueblo and Southern Colorado.
Colorado State University-Pueblo (CSU-Pueblo) and Pueblo Community College (PCC) will jointly announce their intentions to celebrate 75 years of service to the region through both joint and individual events throughout 2008 at a press conference at 1:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 8, on the steps of the Pueblo County Courthouse, 215 W. 10th St. The site was selected because the first classes of the founding institution, Southern Colorado Junior College (SCJC), were held on the third floor of the courthouse in the Fall of 1933. A reception will follow the announcement on the first floor east wing of the courthouse.
The first class of 17 students graduated from SCJC in 1935. The college was renamed Pueblo Junior College in 1937 and became a four-year school, Southern Colorado State College (SCSC), in 1963. In 1974, the Orman campus housed SCSC’s College for Community and Career Education (CCCE); and in 1975, SCSC’s focus was changed to a polytechnic university and became known as the University of Southern Colorado (USC). In 1979, CCCE separated from the University of Southern Colorado and became Pueblo Vocational Community College, joining the state community college system. It was renamed Pueblo Community College in 1982. USC became Colorado State University – Pueblo in 2003.
Colorado State University - Pueblo is a regional, comprehensive university emphasizing professional, career-oriented, and applied programs. Displaying excellence in teaching, celebrating diversity, and engaging in service and outreach, CSU-Pueblo is distinguished by access, opportunity, and the overall quality of services provided to its students.