Colorado State University-Pueblo honored the winners of its fifth annual Student Academic Writing Awards on April 16 in the Occhiato University Center. Winners in the three contest categories, whose papers originated in their university coursework, received cash awards in the amount of $150 for first place, $100 for second, and $50 for third.
Entries were submitted from all four university colleges, from a wide variety of disciplines, including history, English, chemistry, economics, psychology, sociology, biology, philosophy, and business administration.
This year's contest was organized by students in the CSU-Pueblo English Club and Sigma Tau Delta Honor Society, which coordinated with faculty co-sponsors Jeff Piquette, Katherine Frank, and Margaret Barber. Financial support came from the Associated Student Government and numerous academic units from across the campus.
The winners, their hometowns, the courses in which their papers were written, and the sponsoring faculty members are:
1. Rhonda Turner, Pueblo, American Literature I, Cynthia Taylor
2. Terri Norman, Colorado Springs, Jennifer Lovelett, Pueblo West, Corey Kathman, Pueblo, Cassiopia Kathman, Pueblo, Principles of Macroeconomics, Hsin-hui Whited
3. Matthew Neely, Rye, Elementary Concepts in Physics and Chemistry, Jeff Piquette
1. Daniel Campbell, Colorado Springs, Composition I, Constance Little
2. Mayra Mendoza, Pueblo, Composition I, Constance Little
3. Michael Flores, Pueblo, Composition I, Constance Little
1. Rebecca Hughes, Pueblo, Romantic & Victorian English Literature, Katherine Frank
2. Kari Cummings, Trinidad, Romantic & Victorian English Literature, Katherine Frank
3. Karen Olson, Pueblo, Senior Seminar (History), Beatrice Spade
Colorado State University - Pueblo is a regional, comprehensive university emphasizing professional, career-oriented, and applied programs. Displaying excellence in teaching, celebrating diversity, and engaging in service and outreach, CSU-Pueblo is distinguished by access, opportunity, and the overall quality of services provided to its students.